From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [FIXED] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 10:33:02
1 On 29/06/2021 10:44, Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 08:49:49 BST Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 28/06/21 20:23, antlists wrote:
4 >>> On 26/06/2021 13:00, Michael wrote:
7 > X11 will ask for twm if there is no other Window Manager available, or a
8 > Display Environment not configured.
9 >
10 > Have you sorted out your ~/.xinitrc, or have you added your startup command in
11 > /etc/env.d/90xsession?
12 >
13 > There used to be a time when you could drop in your startup command in /etc/
14 > X11/Sessions/, but I think this is no longer used.
15 >
16 > You should spend sometime reading:
17 >
18 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
19 >
20 Well, I hadn't originally intended to set up X, so I was a little
21 slapdash. I will investigate deeper at some point, I expect ...
22 >
23 >>> Wayland is interesting ... if I try to startplasma-wayland, it comes up
24 >>> with the starting plasma stuff, and there's a mouse cursor, but nothing
25 >>> except a black screen and the cursor. When I kill it from a root tty,
26 >>> there's an error
27 >>>
28 >>> Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
29 >>>
30 >>> which a google tells me I haven't got a compositor ...
31 >
32 > In Plasma this would be kwin, which acts as a window manager and a compositor.
33 > If you had installed Plasma in accordance with the URL I shared in previous
34 > emails you shouldn't have this problem, because from what I recall kwin is
35 > being drawn in as a dependency of Plasma.
36 >
37 And Plasma is a dependency of what? Again, this is down to me not fully
38 understanding everything, but surely if I selected the
39 desktop/plasma/systemd profile, that should call in the basic plasma
40 packages by default? Maybe even the kde ones?
41
42 (Having re-read the KDE page, it's suddenly making a lot more sense, but
43 that's with hindsight. But am I right that the profile modifies the
44 system set of packages?)
45 >
46 >>> I also get further errors, but they're probably a consequence -
47 >>>
48 >>> Could not load the Qt platform plugin "Wayland" in "" even though it was
49 >>> found
50 >>>
51 >>> and the same error for xcb.
52 >>
53 >> So simple. I was missing "emerge plasma-meta".
54 >
55 > Heh! Yes, you can't expect a DE to work if major packages are missing. ;-)
58 >> This is where it would be nice to have something like the handbook, or a
59 >> chapter in the handbook, on bringing up a working graphical environment.
60 >
61 > It is not in the Handbook, which has the purpose of installing the Gentoo OS
62 > itself, but it is in the Gentoo Documentation - look at the dropdown menu
63 > 'Documentation' of the Handbook web pages:
64 >
65 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Category:Desktop
66 >
67 > In your case, as I posted previously, you need:
68 >
69 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE
70
71 I'm currently emerging kde-apps-meta, because I discovered that plasma
72 (once I'd got it working) was missing all sorts of things - like
73 konsole! But that kde page you pointed me at only mentions it in passing!
74
75 It's the classic problem that man pages are very good as reference, but
76 if you don't know what they're talking about they are very bad at
77 enlightening you.
78
79 A "dummies guide to plasma" would have been very useful telling me the
80 packages I needed to emerge and why would have been very useful. Now I'm
81 getting my head round it it's all falling into place, but I've been
82 unable to see the trees for the forest :-)
83 >
84 > But, from the errors you've been getting with startx it seems you haven't read
85 > relevant Xorg documentation either.
88 >> Now to get something like sddm working :-)
89 >
90 > For SDDM you better read this first:
91 >
92 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM
93 >
94 And I'll probably be tearing my hair out screaming because I'm straying
95 into unknown territory again :-) I doubt many people run multi-seat, so
96 that'll be fun ... (and I gather some of these greeters don't support
97 it, either :-(
98 >
99 >> (Plus updating my SUSE version to 15.3, re-organising my hardware, blah
100 >> blah blah :-)
101 >>
102 >> Cheers,
103 >> Wol
104 >
105 > Glad you got your desktop going! :-)
106 >
107 Thanks. At least I'm back on familiar territory there.
108
109 Here's hoping for a lot more foresight :-)
110
111 Cheers,
112 Wol