From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [FIXED] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:44:37
1 On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 08:49:49 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 28/06/21 20:23, antlists wrote:
3 > > On 26/06/2021 13:00, Michael wrote:
4 > >> On Saturday, 26 June 2021 11:50:01 BST antlists wrote:
5 > >>> I just want a working systemd/wayland desktop system. So basically, a
6 > >>> full-weight normal desktop.
7 > >>
8 > >> [snip ...]
9 > >>
10 > >>> I've got this one selected, /desktop/plasma/systemd
11 > >>
12 > >> Select default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable).
13 > >>
14 > >> Then update @world. You should be good to go as long as video drivers
15 > >> and
16 > >> firmware are in place, but if X11 is not working this could be an area
17 > >> meriting further investigation.
18 > >
19 > > Okay, ...
20 > >
21 > > One new kernel later (along with some grub debugging :-), world updated,
22 > > ...
23 > >
24 > > X11 still isn't working - first it complained it couldn't find twm, so I
25 > > emerged that, now startx just runs and exits, and the log doesn't seem
26 > > to show anything wrong ...
27
28 X11 will ask for twm if there is no other Window Manager available, or a
29 Display Environment not configured.
30
31 Have you sorted out your ~/.xinitrc, or have you added your startup command in
32 /etc/env.d/90xsession?
33
34 There used to be a time when you could drop in your startup command in /etc/
35 X11/Sessions/, but I think this is no longer used.
36
37 You should spend sometime reading:
38
39 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
42 > > Wayland is interesting ... if I try to startplasma-wayland, it comes up
43 > > with the starting plasma stuff, and there's a mouse cursor, but nothing
44 > > except a black screen and the cursor. When I kill it from a root tty,
45 > > there's an error
46 > >
47 > > Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
48 > >
49 > > which a google tells me I haven't got a compositor ...
50
51 In Plasma this would be kwin, which acts as a window manager and a compositor.
52 If you had installed Plasma in accordance with the URL I shared in previous
53 emails you shouldn't have this problem, because from what I recall kwin is
54 being drawn in as a dependency of Plasma.
57 > > I also get further errors, but they're probably a consequence -
58 > >
59 > > Could not load the Qt platform plugin "Wayland" in "" even though it was
60 > > found
61 > >
62 > > and the same error for xcb.
63 >
64 > So simple. I was missing "emerge plasma-meta".
65
66 Heh! Yes, you can't expect a DE to work if major packages are missing. ;-)
69 > This is where it would be nice to have something like the handbook, or a
70 > chapter in the handbook, on bringing up a working graphical environment.
71
72 It is not in the Handbook, which has the purpose of installing the Gentoo OS
73 itself, but it is in the Gentoo Documentation - look at the dropdown menu
74 'Documentation' of the Handbook web pages:
75
76 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Category:Desktop
77
78 In your case, as I posted previously, you need:
79
80 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE
81
82 But, from the errors you've been getting with startx it seems you haven't read
83 relevant Xorg documentation either.
86 > Now to get something like sddm working :-)
87
88 For SDDM you better read this first:
89
90 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM
93 > (Plus updating my SUSE version to 15.3, re-organising my hardware, blah
94 > blah blah :-)
95 >
96 > Cheers,
97 > Wol