From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [FIXED] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 07:08:32
1 On 28/06/21 20:23, antlists wrote:
2 > On 26/06/2021 13:00, Michael wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 26 June 2021 11:50:01 BST antlists wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I just want a working systemd/wayland desktop system. So basically, a
6 >>> full-weight normal desktop.
7 >> [snip ...]
8 >>
9 >>> I've got this one selected, /desktop/plasma/systemd
10 >>
11 >> Select default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable).
12 >>
13 >> Then update @world. You should be good to go as long as video drivers
14 >> and
15 >> firmware are in place, but if X11 is not working this could be an area
16 >> meriting further investigation.
17 >>
18 > Okay, ...
19 >
20 > One new kernel later (along with some grub debugging :-), world updated,
21 > ...
22 >
23 > X11 still isn't working - first it complained it couldn't find twm, so I
24 > emerged that, now startx just runs and exits, and the log doesn't seem
25 > to show anything wrong ...
26 >
27 > Wayland is interesting ... if I try to startplasma-wayland, it comes up
28 > with the starting plasma stuff, and there's a mouse cursor, but nothing
29 > except a black screen and the cursor. When I kill it from a root tty,
30 > there's an error
31 >
32 > Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
33 >
34 > which a google tells me I haven't got a compositor ...
35 >
36 > I also get further errors, but they're probably a consequence -
37 >
38 > Could not load the Qt platform plugin "Wayland" in "" even though it was
39 > found
40 >
41 > and the same error for xcb.
42 >
43 So simple. I was missing "emerge plasma-meta".
44
45 This is where it would be nice to have something like the handbook, or a
46 chapter in the handbook, on bringing up a working graphical environment.
47 Now to get something like sddm working :-)
48
49 (Plus updating my SUSE version to 15.3, re-organising my hardware, blah
50 blah blah :-)
51
52 Cheers,
53 Wol