From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 19:23:35
1 On 26/06/2021 13:00, Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 26 June 2021 11:50:01 BST antlists wrote:
3 >
4 >> I just want a working systemd/wayland desktop system. So basically, a
5 >> full-weight normal desktop.
6 > [snip ...]
7 >
8 >> I've got this one selected, /desktop/plasma/systemd
9 >
10 > Select default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable).
11 >
12 > Then update @world. You should be good to go as long as video drivers and
13 > firmware are in place, but if X11 is not working this could be an area
14 > meriting further investigation.
15 >
16 Okay, ...
17
18 One new kernel later (along with some grub debugging :-), world updated, ...
19
20 X11 still isn't working - first it complained it couldn't find twm, so I
21 emerged that, now startx just runs and exits, and the log doesn't seem
22 to show anything wrong ...
23
24 Wayland is interesting ... if I try to startplasma-wayland, it comes up
25 with the starting plasma stuff, and there's a mouse cursor, but nothing
26 except a black screen and the cursor. When I kill it from a root tty,
27 there's an error
28
29 Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
30
31 which a google tells me I haven't got a compositor ...
32
33 I also get further errors, but they're probably a consequence -
34
35 Could not load the Qt platform plugin "Wayland" in "" even though it was
36 found
37
38 and the same error for xcb.
39