From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bringing mdocml to Gentoo, MANPATH woes
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 15:49:17
1 On 01/04/2017 10:21 AM, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
2 >
3 > I post this on the -user list because it seems to me that I have issues
4 > relating to several distinct components. If this is better discussed
5 > somewhere else, I would appreciate some pointers :)
6
7 Try the -dev list for the MANPATH thing.
11 > You can find the ebuild (and corresponding files) here:
12 > https://github.com/vehk/pramantha/tree/mdocml-wip/sys-apps/mdocml
15 I have some unrelated comments.
16
17 > IUSE="+sqlite +manpager"
18
19 I think "cron" might be a better global USE flag than "sqlite". Users
20 will think "oh, of course I want the apropos/whatis database to be
21 updated nightly" with USE=cron. Unless they happen to know that those
22 databases are implemented in sqlite, they'll probably just guess at the
23 meaning of USE=sqlite.
24
25 I would also suggest dropping the "+" defaults unless doing so severely
26 cripples the package. The whole point of USE flags is that I can set
27 them and all ebuilds will use them -- that stops working if developers
28 make their own preferences default in ebuilds.
31 > src_configure() {
32 > cp "${FILESDIR}/configure.local" .
33
34 You need "|| die" after that cp.
37 > ./configure
38
39 Same here. If that's a "typical" configure script, the "econf" function
40 might be easier.
43 > install -Dm644 LICENSE "${D}/usr/share/licenses/${PN}/LICENSE"
44
45 There's no need to install the LICENSE file, and it's actually our
46 policy not to, since the text of every license is part of the ::gentoo tree.
49 > pkg_postinst() {
50 > if use sqlite; then
51 > einfo "Creating mandoc.db database files."
52 > makewhatis
53
54 This might be more appropriate in pkg_config(), because it modifies a
55 file that doesn't belong to the package manager, namely mandoc.db. That
56 could also solve your MANPATH issue by dumb luck; I'm not sure what the
57 environment will look like during emerge --config.