From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 23:45:18
1 On 2 Dec 2008, at 11:33, brullo nulla wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Daniel Pielmeier
4 > <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> 2008/12/2 b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com>:
6 >>>
7 >>> May I ask why many people on MLs use to write links as footnotes
8 >>> instead
9 >>> that inside the mail text? I suspect it is some netiquette issue,
10 >>> but I
11 >>> can't find info on that and I find it mildly confusing.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Because http://some-
15 >> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
16 >> -long-link/some-page.html
17 >> looks terrible too?
18 >
19 > Not to me. I am accustomed to see links inside of text in webpages, so
20 > there is nothing strange in what you posted.
21 >
22 > Since it seems only an aestethic preference, I'll continue to post
23 > links in-text when appropriate (tinyurl'ing long links possibly).
24
25 It's not merely aesthetic, because a URL as long as the one above may
26 not be clickable in the mail client. TinyURL should alleviate this
27 problem, as long as the sender's client doesn't break lines in some
28 stupid place.
29
30 I'll use direct links inline when I'm talking about something directly
31 technical and want to give an example:
32 http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Rum/large-20.html
33
34 Usually I'll place it at the end of a sentence & following a new line
35 as above. I'm typically breaking my text into short paragraphs to make
36 it more readable if the reader might be following my procedure step-by-
37 step.
38
39 I used to use TinyURL a lot, but I think - In the kind of email which
40 is a little less technical, and which contains references in the
41 context of longer paragraphs - I prefer footnotes. When the link is in
42 the middle of a paragraph like this http://tinyurl.com/63en7z it tends
43 to interrupt the reader & disturb the flow of the text.
44
45 Stroller.