From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 00:49:22
1 Stroller ha scritto:
2 > It's not merely aesthetic, because a URL as long as the one above may
3 > not be clickable in the mail client. TinyURL should alleviate this
4 > problem, as long as the sender's client doesn't break lines in some
5 > stupid place.
6
7 Right.
8
9 > I'll use direct links inline when I'm talking about something directly
10 > technical and want to give an example:
11 > http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Rum/large-20.html
12 >
13 > Usually I'll place it at the end of a sentence & following a new line as
14 > above. I'm typically breaking my text into short paragraphs to make it
15 > more readable if the reader might be following my procedure step-by-step.
16 >
17 > I used to use TinyURL a lot, but I think - In the kind of email which is
18 > a little less technical, and which contains references in the context of
19 > longer paragraphs - I prefer footnotes. When the link is in the middle
20 > of a paragraph like this http://tinyurl.com/63en7z it tends to interrupt
21 > the reader & disturb the flow of the text.
22
23 That's very closely my own policy. Nice to know I'm not alone. :)
24
25 m.