From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:28:39
1 On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:26:25 +0200
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 14/12/12 14:19, Dale wrote:
5 > > I'm thinking of switching and getting rid of the init thingy
6 >
7 > Huh?
8
9 Once upon a time, not so long ago, Dale happened to try and make an
10 initrd. He followed the rules and the docs and it blew up in his face.
11 It blew up more in his face than HAL did even longer ago (and that was
12 pretty spectacular).
13
14 Somewhere in that thread the words "init thingy" were used in
15 frustration, and it's since become a meme, a disparaging reference to
16 initrd for those who don't like the idea of them.
17
18 Dale is getting famous at this, if ever we need someone to find the
19 really bad bugs in basic software, just mark it stable enough so that
20 Dale will use it. He will find the bugs that no-one else ever could,
21 it's just a knack he has.
22
23 Long live Dale.
24