From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] subtitleeditor failed to compile/update
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:04:58
1 2016-02-23 10:40 GMT+02:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:54:57 +0200, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> During an update of my Gentoo box yesterday,
5 >> the subtitleeditor failed to compile.
6 >>
7 >> Then, I uninstalled it, updated the rest of the
8 >> system and tried to install the subtitleeditor anew.
9 >>
10 >> As a result, its compilation failed even more graciously.
11 >
12 > I don't have an answer to the build issue, but you don't need to
13 > uninstall a package to get a world update to complete. Either use
14 > --keep-going, which will carry on after a package fails, or use --exclude
15 > to avoid updating that package in the first place.
16
17 Thank you for the advice.
18
19 The reason for uninstalling the package (and the other 3 packages
20 it depends on with --depclean), updating the rest of the system and
21 installing it anew was that I wanted to exclude the case that this package
22 does not update because it needs a newer versions of all packages
23 it depends on, though I agree that running world update with --exclude
24 and then reemerging the excluded package will do (almost?) the same.
25
26 P.S. My previous world update was just a week ago.