From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:04:05
1 On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo!
3 >
4 > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed out,
5 > the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and sensible".
6 > In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise of the power
7 > supply.  I know from plugging in my iPod that the loudspeakers are
8 > capable of much more.
9 >
10 > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung; (ii)
11 > the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right speaker.
12 >
13 > Surely I can get more volume, somehow.  Could somebody please suggest
14 > how.  TIA
15
16 Check that PA isn't getting in the way somewhere.
17
18 Try using a different media player. See if you can find out if the
19 files' ReplayGain feature is or is not involved.
20
21 Check that you're outputting to the correct audio sink; I've had cases
22 where I *thought* things were working, but really quiet, and it turned
23 out that crosstalk was the only reason I was hearing anything.
27 :wq