From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:31:43
1 On Wednesday, 31 May 2006 21:31, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > Hi folks:
3 >
4 > A few months back, I went through a phase where I built several
5 > computers via the gentoo installer disk, they work, but they are not as
6 > well optimized as I would like. I have successfully destroyed 5 of them
7 > trying to fix the use flags, so after that im to the point of asking for
8 > some help :) --
9
10 Too much optimisation can be a bad thing.
13 > My IDS box is the next one on the list to be fixed. I would like to be
14 > able to rebuild the kernel for what I use it for - -No problem there --
15 > that's simple. And I would like to take out all the unused use flags
16 > and replace them with a basic set - -this is where I have gotten into
17 > trouble before on the other systems -- I can edit them in make.conf so I
18 > have what I want - right now it looks like I will be using
19 >
20 > USE="apache2 dev/lang-php mysql -ipv6 -mmx -mp3 -nls -xmms -alsa -arts"
21
22 What is dev/lang-php doing in there? If your intention is for the mysql USE
23 flag to only apply to dev/lang-php then put the line 'dev-lang/php mysql'
24 into /etc/portage/package.use
25
26 Also mmx is not a default USE flag, specifically disabling it is redundant.
29 > Knowing that, once I edit make.conf, what do I need to do next to get
30 > stuff re-compiled etc?
31
32 if you had looked at the emerge man page you'd have noticed the 'N' argument.
35 > Any other recommendation etc???
36
37 My recommendation is to not touch any USE flags that you don't understand. The
38 defaults are usually perfectly fine unless you have a good reason to disable
39 particular flags.
40
41 I would also recommend that you go through and read all the portage
42 documentation.
45 > Thanks
46 >
47 > TIM
50 > Timothy A. Holmes
51 > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
52 >
53 > Medina Christian Academy
54 > A Higher Standard...
55 >