From: "Guillermo A. Amaral" <me@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel hangs after detecting the hard disk
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:23:18
1 On Thursday 26 April 2007 17:05, Iván Pérez Domínguez wrote:
2 > Looks like I've come with a different situation now:
3 >
4 > I installed Ubuntu in a different partition, it works fine.
5 > I took it's kernel's config and tried to recompile gentoo's with it.
6 >
7 > Things are a little better now, but looks like it cannot find /dev/hda2
8 > (my root partition) nor /dev/sda2. Since no root can be found, it cannot
9 > boot, and remains asking for the root password. If I log in, I cannot
10 > access my files in any way. I don't know why.
11 >
12 > On the other hand, I also tried to boot Gentoo using Ubuntu's kernel by
13 > setting root=/dev/sda2 (Gentoo's root partition) instead of
14 > root=/dev/sda3 (Ubuntu's). It goes perfectly (it even mounts the root
15 > partition), but stops after trying to remount proc (it cannot be mounted
16 > because it has already been mounted) since it's considered a critical task.
17 >
18 > Any ideas?
19 >
20 > Shall I send the new kernel config as well?
21 >
22 > btw, is there any web site with a huge database with config files or
23 > parts of them for different hardware, distributions (if applicable), and
24 > kernels? (I already did my homework trying to find it) If not, I think
25 > that would be a great idea.
26 >
27 > Iván Pérez Domínguez wrote:
28 > > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
29 > >> Hi,
30 > >>
31 > >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:07:38 +0200
32 > >>
33 > >> Iván Pérez Domínguez <ivanperezdominguez@×××××.com> wrote:
34 > >>> I'm having another problem, this time it's a kernel related problem.
35 > >>> I'm currently using kernel 2.6.13, and most things work fine. However,
36 > >>> when I try to update to a newer kernel (say 2.6.17 or 2.6.20), my
37 > >>> laptop hangs after detecting the hard disk. If I don't use initrd, it
38 > >>> stops when udev is loaded.
39 > >>
40 > >> What's the last (few lines of) message on screen?
41 > >>
42 > >> Did you configure your kernel to use the new libata stuff instead of
43 > >> traditional IDE drivers?
44 > >
45 > > I don't know. That might be the problem.
46 > >
47 > > The old kernel config (2.6.13) is attached. I tried to change it but
48 > > couldn't find any good combination.
49 > >
50 > >> -hwh
51 > >
52 > > Cheers,
53 > > Ivan.
54
55 Can you provide the LSPCI output and the .config for your kernel?
58 Guillermo A. Amaral, CSE
59 # Free & Open Source Advocate
60 & nick: guillermoamaral
61 @ blog: http://blog.guillermoamaral.com/