From: Benjamin Sobotta <mayday@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apple keyboards with Gentoo
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:31:54
1 On Friday 22 December 2006 19:31, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\) wrote:
3 > > I may be preaching to the converted, but have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Fx keys
4 > > to try and get a console? Does the keyboard have any odd switches to
5 > > turn the F keys on? My logitech keyboard does - to switch between
6 > > hotkeys and Fx keys.
7 >
8 > Basically, Im using an Apple USB keyboard on an amd64 box. The "Option"
9 > key (which has the word "Alt" written above it) does not function as an
10 > ALT key at all (even on the console it doesn't work). So this tells me
11 > that I need to set my keyboard map in the console and get that working
12 > first (hopefully, the key will work in X too when I solve this).
13 >
14 > Of course, I could just use a "regular" PC keyboard (though this Apple
15 > keyboard was a spare I had lying around and Ive grown fond of it).
16 >
17 > So... how do we play with the keyboard mapping in the console?
20 > --
21 > A
22
23 Hi
24
25 I'm not really a Gentoo user anymore, but I follow the list every once in a
26 while. So the advice I can give applies for FreeBSD. Gentoo should be similar
27 however.
28
29 The keymaps for the console are to found under /usr/share/syscons/keymaps. For
30 example, german is in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/german.cp850.kbd. Just look
31 for .kbd files in your system.
32
33 If you want to change X play with the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/.
34
35 Maybe that helps,
36
37 Cheers,