From: Benjamin Sobotta <mayday@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apple keyboards with Gentoo
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:37:44
1 Hi again.
2
3 Maybe you can also have a look for example at the xorg.lst file in the rules
4 directory for X and then adjust your xorg.conf properly...
5
6 B
7
8 On Saturday 23 December 2006 18:27, Benjamin Sobotta wrote:
9 > On Friday 22 December 2006 19:31, A. Khattri wrote:
10 > > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\) wrote:
11 > > > I may be preaching to the converted, but have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Fx
12 > > > keys to try and get a console? Does the keyboard have any odd switches
13 > > > to turn the F keys on? My logitech keyboard does - to switch between
14 > > > hotkeys and Fx keys.
15 > >
16 > > Basically, Im using an Apple USB keyboard on an amd64 box. The "Option"
17 > > key (which has the word "Alt" written above it) does not function as an
18 > > ALT key at all (even on the console it doesn't work). So this tells me
19 > > that I need to set my keyboard map in the console and get that working
20 > > first (hopefully, the key will work in X too when I solve this).
21 > >
22 > > Of course, I could just use a "regular" PC keyboard (though this Apple
23 > > keyboard was a spare I had lying around and Ive grown fond of it).
24 > >
25 > > So... how do we play with the keyboard mapping in the console?
28 > > --
29 > > A
30 >
31 > Hi
32 >
33 > I'm not really a Gentoo user anymore, but I follow the list every once in a
34 > while. So the advice I can give applies for FreeBSD. Gentoo should be
35 > similar however.
36 >
37 > The keymaps for the console are to found under /usr/share/syscons/keymaps.
38 > For example, german is in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/german.cp850.kbd. Just
39 > look for .kbd files in your system.
40 >
41 > If you want to change X play with the files in
42 > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/.
43 >
44 > Maybe that helps,
45 >