From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 00:46:53
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:06:00PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 21/12/2016 21:51, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
7 > >>> (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
8 > >>> # required by kde-plasma/kwin-5.8.3::gentoo
9 > >>> # required by kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.3-r4::gentoo
10 > >>> # required by net-p2p/ktorrent-5.0.1::gentoo[shutdown]
11 > >>> # required by @selected
12 > >>> # required by @world (argument)
13 > >>>> =media-libs/mesa-12.0.1 wayland
14 > >>
15 > >>
16 > >> I suggest ignoring this for the moment and see if the info above
17 > >> resolves your systemd issues. I'm not sure why kwin has the
18 > >> dependency that it does, but it looks to me like it is set up as a
19 > >> hard dependency that you can't avoid without modifying the ebuild.
20 > >> I'll see if I can figure out more. The changes above should at least
21 > >> get rid of whatever is pulling in systemd.
22 > >>
23 > >> Installing wayland shouldn't actually hurt anything. I noticed that I
24 > >> have it installed likely for the same reason, and it isn't like it
25 > >> will start running on its own. But, I'm not sure yet whether you can
26 > >> avoid it.
27 > >>
28 > >
29 > > Well, I should have just waited to reply, but here is the issue:
30 > > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2015-July/008725.html
31 > >
32 > > kwin does in fact have a non-conditional dependency on wayland, so you
33 > > need to install it. It won't do anything if you don't run it, but it
34 > > is not possible to build kwin without wayland support. Judging by the
35 > > claim in the email that it used to take 100 conditionals in the source
36 > > to make it optional, I doubt anybody in Gentoo will be patching this
37 > > anytime soon. I guess you could always fork it if you wanted to.
38 > >
39 > > So, sorry, not what you wanted to hear, and not really what I care to
40 > > hear either since I don't use wayland, but at least it doesn't need to
41 > > be running in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in
42 > > the future, but everybody knows that xorg is on borrowed time right
43 > > now.
44 > >
45 > > Well, if nothing else at least this splits the thread so that you can
46 > > reply to the systemd and the wayland issues separately...
50 > Doesn't it strike you as curious that the 4 extra wayland packages
51 > consume 8.5M installed (sans size of sources in distfiles) and for 18
52 > months no-one has raised nary a whimper about it, whereas recall the
53 > giant whinge-fest a while back about a few 10s of harmless unit files
54 > (text), each less than one fs block?
55
56 How does a file take up less than a single FS block? An inode has to be
57 allocated _somewhere_, does it not?
58
59 As for the KDE <-> wayland thing, it's possible KDE users don't care
60 about something like that. In fact I would argue that the average person
61 who wants a desktop environment cares little about the dependency tree
62 for said environment, because they care more about their DE than what it
63 takes to run it. It's also an exercise in insanity, given the size of
64 DEs. I applaud the teams working on packaging them; it's a huge effort.
65
66 Exceptions are obviously GNOME + systemd, which caused a large upset.
67 If/when KDE starts requiring wayland, I expect a similar, though
68 somewhat smaller outcry. It'll come down to having a quality Wayland
69 setup that's as smooth to get up and running as Xorg.
70
71 One of the issues with wayland adoption is 1) the sheer amount of
72 software that'd need to be ported (there's apparently an X-compatible
73 mode in Wayland or something, but I've heard nothing regarding its
74 quality or its interoperability), 2) its structure is not exactly clear,
75 3) afaik there is no known compositor that supports all the features
76 you'd want to see in a modern display manager, and 4) writing tools
77 for the display server basically depends on a competent and extensible
78 compositor since everything goes through it first.
79
80 What I see more likely in the future for Wayland are different levels of
81 "rich" experience, all using a common Wayland protocol to be
82 mix-and-match. So someone can have a barebones system with Fluxbox (like
83 me), but another Wayland implementation can have all the bells and
84 whistles the DE crowd is used to. Who knows?
87 > For the record, openrc user here on Gentoo; systemd on Ubuntu at work
88 > (no feasible choice with Ubuntu)
89 >
90 > --
91 > Alan McKinnon