From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 20:08:15
1 On 21/12/2016 21:51, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
6 >>> (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
7 >>> # required by kde-plasma/kwin-5.8.3::gentoo
8 >>> # required by kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.3-r4::gentoo
9 >>> # required by net-p2p/ktorrent-5.0.1::gentoo[shutdown]
10 >>> # required by @selected
11 >>> # required by @world (argument)
12 >>>> =media-libs/mesa-12.0.1 wayland
15 >> I suggest ignoring this for the moment and see if the info above
16 >> resolves your systemd issues. I'm not sure why kwin has the
17 >> dependency that it does, but it looks to me like it is set up as a
18 >> hard dependency that you can't avoid without modifying the ebuild.
19 >> I'll see if I can figure out more. The changes above should at least
20 >> get rid of whatever is pulling in systemd.
21 >>
22 >> Installing wayland shouldn't actually hurt anything. I noticed that I
23 >> have it installed likely for the same reason, and it isn't like it
24 >> will start running on its own. But, I'm not sure yet whether you can
25 >> avoid it.
28 > Well, I should have just waited to reply, but here is the issue:
29 > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2015-July/008725.html
30 >
31 > kwin does in fact have a non-conditional dependency on wayland, so you
32 > need to install it. It won't do anything if you don't run it, but it
33 > is not possible to build kwin without wayland support. Judging by the
34 > claim in the email that it used to take 100 conditionals in the source
35 > to make it optional, I doubt anybody in Gentoo will be patching this
36 > anytime soon. I guess you could always fork it if you wanted to.
37 >
38 > So, sorry, not what you wanted to hear, and not really what I care to
39 > hear either since I don't use wayland, but at least it doesn't need to
40 > be running in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in
41 > the future, but everybody knows that xorg is on borrowed time right
42 > now.
43 >
44 > Well, if nothing else at least this splits the thread so that you can
45 > reply to the systemd and the wayland issues separately...
49 Doesn't it strike you as curious that the 4 extra wayland packages
50 consume 8.5M installed (sans size of sources in distfiles) and for 18
51 months no-one has raised nary a whimper about it, whereas recall the
52 giant whinge-fest a while back about a few 10s of harmless unit files
53 (text), each less than one fs block?
54
55 For the record, openrc user here on Gentoo; systemd on Ubuntu at work
56 (no feasible choice with Ubuntu)
59 Alan McKinnon
60 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com