From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 19:51:40
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
5 >> (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
6 >> # required by kde-plasma/kwin-5.8.3::gentoo
7 >> # required by kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.3-r4::gentoo
8 >> # required by net-p2p/ktorrent-5.0.1::gentoo[shutdown]
9 >> # required by @selected
10 >> # required by @world (argument)
11 >>>=media-libs/mesa-12.0.1 wayland
14 > I suggest ignoring this for the moment and see if the info above
15 > resolves your systemd issues. I'm not sure why kwin has the
16 > dependency that it does, but it looks to me like it is set up as a
17 > hard dependency that you can't avoid without modifying the ebuild.
18 > I'll see if I can figure out more. The changes above should at least
19 > get rid of whatever is pulling in systemd.
20 >
21 > Installing wayland shouldn't actually hurt anything. I noticed that I
22 > have it installed likely for the same reason, and it isn't like it
23 > will start running on its own. But, I'm not sure yet whether you can
24 > avoid it.
27 Well, I should have just waited to reply, but here is the issue:
28 https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2015-July/008725.html
29
30 kwin does in fact have a non-conditional dependency on wayland, so you
31 need to install it. It won't do anything if you don't run it, but it
32 is not possible to build kwin without wayland support. Judging by the
33 claim in the email that it used to take 100 conditionals in the source
34 to make it optional, I doubt anybody in Gentoo will be patching this
35 anytime soon. I guess you could always fork it if you wanted to.
36
37 So, sorry, not what you wanted to hear, and not really what I care to
38 hear either since I don't use wayland, but at least it doesn't need to
39 be running in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in
40 the future, but everybody knows that xorg is on borrowed time right
41 now.
42
43 Well, if nothing else at least this splits the thread so that you can
44 reply to the systemd and the wayland issues separately...
47 Rich