From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 20:55:16
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Doesn't it strike you as curious
4
5 Not really. :)
6
7 > 10s of harmless unit files (text), each less than one fs block?
10 Setting aside the core of this issue (which everybody has already gone
11 on about ad nauseum, myself included), I figured I'd point out that on
12 most modern filesystems very small text files don't actually use
13 blocks per-se, but instead they're stored in the inode or other
14 metadata records. They have to be quite small to fit, but Linux
15 systems tend to have a lot of files that don't require an actual disk
16 block as a result and it can save quite a bit of space cumulatively.
19 Rich