From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:24:42
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Michael Mol wrote:
6 >> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
7 >> <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
10 >> > The 07/09/12, Dale wrote:
11 >> >
12 >> >> The thing is tho, whether it is using the memory as cache
13 >> or using it
14 >> >> as
15 >> >> tmpfs, it is the same memory. There is no difference.
16 >> That's the
17 >> >> whole
18 >> >> point.
19 >> > Feel free to take your own assumptions as undeniable truth.
20 >> The way the
21 >> > kernel work with memory is the key, of course.
22 >> >
23 >> > Now, as long as you blind yourself with statements like
24 >> that, I'm not
25 >> > going to respond anymore. I guess you need to make some
26 >> basic research.
27 >> >
28 >>
29 >> I understand how the kernel uses memory. That's why it
30 >> doesn't matter
31 >> if you put portage's work directory on tmpfs or not. I been
32 >> using Linux
33 >> for a pretty good long while now. I have a pretty good
34 >> understanding of
35 >> it, especially the things that I use.
36 >>
37 >> Respond or not, I know what I tested and what the results
38 >> were. They
39 >> were not just my tests and results either.
42 >> Nobody is disagreeing with your test results. In fact, they're
43 >> not even disagreeing with you that they mean what you think they
44 >> mean within the context you're testing. They're disagreeing with
45 >> your extrapolation of your results to other contexts. In short,
46 >> all other things being equal, your test results work out for
47 >> someone in the exact same circumstances as yourself...but there
48 >> are a _lot_ of other things that need to be equal!
49 >>
50 >> Filesystem mount options can have an impact. For example, let's
51 >> say your filesystem is configured to make writes synchronous, for
52 >> general data integrity purposes. That would slow PORTAGE_TMP down
53 >> something _fierce_.
54 >>
55 >> Someone might be tweaking any number of the knobs under 'vm' in
56 >> /proc. vm.swappiness, vm.dirty_* or vm.min_free_kbytes are ones
57 >> that caught my eye, but really most of them in there look relevant.
58 >>
59 >> Or consider that someone else might be running drop_caches, or
60 >> even sync() while your code is running. (Heck, if there's a
61 >> database, even an sqlite database, on the same filesystem, that's
62 >> almost a guarantee.)
63 >>
64 >> These may seem to be obvious, but these are the kinds of things
65 >> people were trying to get you to be willing to acknowledge before
66 >> you made blanket assertions which covered them.
67 >>
68 >> --
69 >> :wq
72 > Someone could be getting rays from Mars but I am not testing
73 > that. What I tested was this, Run emerge with portages work
74 > directory on disk. Then run same command with portage's work
75 > directory on tmpfs. Then compare the results. No other changes
76 > except for where portage's work directory is located, hard drive
77 > or ram. This was done on a NORMAL system that most ANY user would
78 > be using. I'm not concerned with some rare or exotic setup, just
79 > a normal setup. If someone is running some exotic setup, then
80 > they need to test that to see whether it helps or not because I
81 > did not test for that sort of system. I didn't test for rays from
82 > Mars either. LOL
85 > Running databases on the same filesystem as PORTAGE_TMP is not a rare
86 > or exotic setup. Anyone who doesn't use a separate /home or separate
87 > portage temp is in a circumstance like that.
90 > --
91 > :wq
94 Well, I have /home on its own partition, like most likely everyone
95 does. At the time, I was not using LVM either. At the time, I had a
96 pretty much default install except that the portage tree was on its own
97 partition since I wanted to keep it from fragmenting all of /usr with
98 all those constantly changing little files.
99
100 I also use defaults when mounting file systems too. Nothing exotic or
101 weird or anything.
102
103 So again, just testing on as normal a system as there could be to get
104 some real world results.
105
106 Dale
107
111 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!