From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:05:05
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Michael Mol wrote:
4 >
5 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
8 >> > The 07/09/12, Dale wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> >> The thing is tho, whether it is using the memory as cache or using it
11 >> >> as
12 >> >> tmpfs, it is the same memory. There is no difference. That's the
13 >> >> whole
14 >> >> point.
15 >> > Feel free to take your own assumptions as undeniable truth. The way the
16 >> > kernel work with memory is the key, of course.
17 >> >
18 >> > Now, as long as you blind yourself with statements like that, I'm not
19 >> > going to respond anymore. I guess you need to make some basic research.
20 >> >
21 >>
22 >> I understand how the kernel uses memory. That's why it doesn't matter
23 >> if you put portage's work directory on tmpfs or not. I been using Linux
24 >> for a pretty good long while now. I have a pretty good understanding of
25 >> it, especially the things that I use.
26 >>
27 >> Respond or not, I know what I tested and what the results were. They
28 >> were not just my tests and results either.
31 > Nobody is disagreeing with your test results. In fact, they're not even
32 > disagreeing with you that they mean what you think they mean within the
33 > context you're testing. They're disagreeing with your extrapolation of your
34 > results to other contexts. In short, all other things being equal, your
35 > test results work out for someone in the exact same circumstances as
36 > yourself...but there are a _lot_ of other things that need to be equal!
37 >
38 > Filesystem mount options can have an impact. For example, let's say your
39 > filesystem is configured to make writes synchronous, for general data
40 > integrity purposes. That would slow PORTAGE_TMP down something _fierce_.
41 >
42 > Someone might be tweaking any number of the knobs under 'vm' in /proc.
43 > vm.swappiness, vm.dirty_* or vm.min_free_kbytes are ones that caught my
44 > eye, but really most of them in there look relevant.
45 >
46 > Or consider that someone else might be running drop_caches, or even
47 > sync() while your code is running. (Heck, if there's a database, even an
48 > sqlite database, on the same filesystem, that's almost a guarantee.)
49 >
50 > These may seem to be obvious, but these are the kinds of things people
51 > were trying to get you to be willing to acknowledge before you made blanket
52 > assertions which covered them.
53 >
54 > --
55 > :wq
59 > Someone could be getting rays from Mars but I am not testing that. What I
60 > tested was this, Run emerge with portages work directory on disk. Then
61 > run same command with portage's work directory on tmpfs. Then compare the
62 > results. No other changes except for where portage's work directory is
63 > located, hard drive or ram. This was done on a NORMAL system that most ANY
64 > user would be using. I'm not concerned with some rare or exotic setup,
65 > just a normal setup. If someone is running some exotic setup, then they
66 > need to test that to see whether it helps or not because I did not test for
67 > that sort of system. I didn't test for rays from Mars either. LOL
70 Running databases on the same filesystem as PORTAGE_TMP is not a rare or
71 exotic setup. Anyone who doesn't use a separate /home or separate portage
72 temp is in a circumstance like that.
76 :wq