From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED Re: [gentoo-user] ATLAS@home and VirtualBox
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 09:42:02
1 On Tuesday 03 May 2016 18:47:39 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Tue, 03 May 2016 09:56:29 +0100 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3
4 --->8
5
6 > > What is the approved method of reading change-logs nowadays?
7 >
8 > If you are using git sync, just go to /usr/portage/sci-misc/boinc
9 > and run `git log .` there.
10 >
11 > If you are using rsync sync, read end of the ChangeLog file, tail
12 > -n 50 should do the job. 'equery c boinc' should work too.
13
14 Okay, thanks.
15
16 > Looks like your problem comes from broken rsync mirror with outdated
17 > ChangeLog files.
18
19 No, I see it now: 'equery c boinc' returns the ChangeLog section that refers
20 to the currently installed version, not to any earlier or later ones. If I
21 know what later versions are available I can do something like "equery c
22 =sci-misc/boinc-7.6.31" but I hadn't done so until just now.
23
24 What's happened, I think, is that the init script change introduced into the
25 latest version has been silently back-ported to the previous version. That's
26 why I didn't see it in the ChangeLog, and it explains why I didn't get it
27 during routine updates - only when I uninstalled the package and reinstalled
28 it.
29
30 A learning point has emerged here: it's dangerous to specify a version in
31 package.keywords.
32
33 I can't say I'm delighted to have spent three weeks in fruitless bug
34 chasing, just because of an undocumented change that had already fixed my
35 problem behind my back. At least I understand what's going on now. Thanks
36 for your help, Andrew.
39 Rgds
40 Peter