From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: System freezes during compiles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:49:53
1 On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2013-03-20, Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > > That's by no means conclusive, however, I've also run a complete pass of
7 > > memcheck for over an hour without any issues reported.
8 >
9 > FWIW. I've had flakey memory that ran memcheck fine for several hours
10 > and multiple passes -- but if I let it run long enough, it would fail.
11 > I wouldn't be confident unless memtest ran for at least 12 hours (24
12 > would be even better).
15 When I've had memory problems, it seemed like it was always shown in
16 tests 5 and 8 from memtest86+. So, now, to expedite the tests, I set
17 it to only run tests 5 and 8. A few hours of those can find problems
18 faster than a couple days of running the full battery of tests. I
19 always run the full set at least once, but my experience and those of
20 people I've seen on Google seems to indicate that on modern systems 5
21 and 8 are where errors are exposed. YMMV of course. :)