From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sata Controllers and drives
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:29:48
1 Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2 > I have a system I need to upgrade from SCSI with an Adaptec 3210S RAID (I'm
3 > using HItachi nee IBM SCSI Ultrastor drives which aren't holding up too well)
4 > and am looking at going with SATA. Some input from the those with
5 > recommendations or experiences would be appreciated.
6
7 Seeing as that's a real RAID card, complete with an onboard cache of up
8 to 256MB RAM, I'd try to replace it with something as good or better.
9 That qualification pretty much eliminates 90% of the SATA cards out
10 there. Most of them are consumer grade with no caching and usually no
11 RAID processing since they're doing it in the driver.
12
13 I've had good luck with 3ware cards and whatever OEM Adaptec AAC RAID
14 card Dell includes in their machines these days.
15
16 kashani
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list