From: Rob <europa100@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mozilla-bin port not rendering correctly/ solved
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:42:31
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:58:04AM -0700, Rob wrote
3 >
4 >>I have never seen this behavior except with the Gentoo mozilla-bin port.
5 >>It is not rendering text correctly. I have tried Arial Truetype font
6 >>and ordinary fonts. What is does is print the letters of text with huge
7 >>spaces between them. It does not occur on all web pages, but enough to
8 >>be really annoying. I do not know if this is a port problem or a basic
9 >>mozilla problem. Has any one else seen this? the mozilla version is 1.7.12
12 > Problem
13 > =======
14 > I had the exact same problem in Firefox. What's happening is that you
15 > are setting up *YOUR* fonts, but the browser is using *THE WEBPAGE'S*
16 > fonts, so what you do has no effect.
17 >
18 > Solution
19 > ========
20 > The Mozilla menu sequence might be slightly different. In Firefox, it
21 > was as follows...
22 >
23 > Edit
24 > Preferences
25 > General
26 > Fonts & Colors
27 >
28 > Near the bottom of the "Fonts & Colors" tab, check the option...
29 > Always use my: [X] Fonts
30 >
31 > Now *YOUR* font choices should take effect.
34 Actually, the solution for me was to get rid of the mozilla-bin port and
35 compile it from scratch. Evidently mozilla-bin has some integration
36 problems with Xorg, etc. Then it doesn't matter what that "Allow
37 documents to use other fonts" setting is. My test web page was
38 www.msnbc.com. Mozilla-bin totally barfs on this page, whereas the
39 compiled version renders everything correctly.
40
41 I only have one problem left. Windowmaker starts up (when I am just a
42 regular user) then aborts because it can't find one of the TrueType
43 fonts. That font directory is set in xorg.conf, but I am afraid the
44 problem is in the /etc/fonts directory. I just don't have enough
45 experience working with those config files to get TrueType fonts set up
46 right.
47
48 But I have made good progress! I am happy about that.
49
50 Rob.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list