From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync backup system
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:03:38
1 On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 18:50, daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > As a simple idea, cron task starts rsnapshot configured however.  When
4 > this is done, backup is tarballed, and tarball is given as like, say,
5 > 440 permissions, where users are in some useful 'backup' group, then
6 > while tarball can be read to be passed across server, if tarball is
7 > extracted, user has no more privs then they have on the system anyway
8 > (I'm not saying chmod -R).  Then local tarball can be removed or
9 > whatever.
10
11 It's not a bad idea, but you need enough free space on the client to
12 backup the entire system (which for me is not the case). Secondly,
13 every backup you do is a full backup as rsnapshot needs to access a
14 backup todo a incremental backup. You could mess around with something
15 like sshfs but's it's not great either. A straight rsync between
16 client and server could do it but it would suprise me if this doesn't
17 already exist in some form.
18
19 Regards,
20