From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync backup system
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:34:16
1 On 26 February 2010 22:23, Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 18:50, daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> As a simple idea, cron task starts rsnapshot configured however.  When
5 >> this is done, backup is tarballed, and tarball is given as like, say,
6 >> 440 permissions, where users are in some useful 'backup' group, then
7 >> while tarball can be read to be passed across server, if tarball is
8 >> extracted, user has no more privs then they have on the system anyway
9 >> (I'm not saying chmod -R).  Then local tarball can be removed or
10 >> whatever.
11 >
12 > It's not a bad idea, but you need enough free space on the client to
13 > backup the entire system (which for me is not the case). Secondly,
14 > every backup you do is a full backup as rsnapshot needs to access a
15 > backup todo a incremental backup. You could mess around with something
16 > like sshfs but's it's not great either. A straight rsync between
17 > client and server could do it but it would suprise me if this doesn't
18 > already exist in some form.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 >
22 > Ward
23 >
24 Thanks for the feedback. For now, as you may easily guess, this case
25 does not apply to me personally since I mostly just admin my own
26 personal machine. But I think you raise very relevant difficulties
27 with my suggestion for a practical administrative case for multiple
28 machines.
29
30 ~daid