From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:54:41
1 On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Monday 04 July 2011 14:15:12 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >>> I'm curious, however, about my Gentoo VMs. Can KMS run on a VM's
6 >>> kernel and do anything useful there? This is more for learning and
7 >>> not about any practical need at this time.
8 >>
9 >> From my understanding, this topic gets yucky. There's a whole bunch of
10 >> ways this could be done, from software emulation to para-
11 >> virtualization to full virtualization. Emulation is easy - KMS in the
12 >> guest sees what looks for all the world like hardware so everything
13 >> works if KMS supports the emulated card (albeit slowly). For
14 >> everything else, you'd need kernel drivers intercepting efforts to
15 >> talk to the hardware and be traffic cop. My brain is already spinning
16 >> on this so please excuse me while I go dunk my head in a bucket and
17 >> not think about it anymore :-)
20 > So I'm wondering if the Virtualbox graphics driver
21 > (xf86-video-virtualbox) is a framebuffer local to the VM or something
22 > else?
23 >
24 > My NVidia GFX465 running the NVidia driver does about 11,000 FPS in
25 > glxgears in Linux. glxgears running in the VM does about 130FPS, or
26 > around 1% of the performance outside. Yes, it's 'slow', depending on
27 > how we define slow. It's faster then machine I ran native in Linux 5
28 > years ago, and it's very usable for things like browsers, etc.
29 >
30 > I don't know what tool to use to measure graphics performance on
31 > Windows but my Windows XP VM is more than fast enough to watch Netflix
32 > full screen at 1920x1080 without any major amount of tearing, so
33 > Virtualbox graphics performance there is fine.
34 >
35 > Anyway, just data.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Mark
42 GLX is also doing OpenGL 3D rendering which, outside the VM is
43 hardware accelerated while inside of it the driver has no true,
44 direct, access to hardware, though if you're one of the very lucky,
45 there's a chance of halfway workable pass-through via the guest
46 additions and such, but even that's slow (and I'm not certain it's
47 available to a *nix guest).
50 Poison [BLX]
51 Joshua M. Murphy