From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:47:24
1 On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 July 2011 14:15:12 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
3 <SNIP>
4 >> I'm curious, however, about my Gentoo VMs. Can KMS run on a VM's
5 >> kernel and do anything useful there? This is more for learning and
6 >> not about any practical need at this time.
7 >
8 > From my understanding, this topic gets yucky. There's a whole bunch of
9 > ways this could be done, from software emulation to para-
10 > virtualization to full virtualization. Emulation is easy - KMS in the
11 > guest sees what looks for all the world like hardware so everything
12 > works if KMS supports the emulated card (albeit slowly). For
13 > everything else, you'd need kernel drivers intercepting efforts to
14 > talk to the hardware and be traffic cop. My brain is already spinning
15 > on this so please excuse me while I go dunk my head in a bucket and
16 > not think about it anymore :-)
19 So I'm wondering if the Virtualbox graphics driver
20 (xf86-video-virtualbox) is a framebuffer local to the VM or something
21 else?
22
23 My NVidia GFX465 running the NVidia driver does about 11,000 FPS in
24 glxgears in Linux. glxgears running in the VM does about 130FPS, or
25 around 1% of the performance outside. Yes, it's 'slow', depending on
26 how we define slow. It's faster then machine I ran native in Linux 5
27 years ago, and it's very usable for things like browsers, etc.
28
29 I don't know what tool to use to measure graphics performance on
30 Windows but my Windows XP VM is more than fast enough to watch Netflix
31 full screen at 1920x1080 without any major amount of tearing, so
32 Virtualbox graphics performance there is fine.
33
34 Anyway, just data.
35
36 Thanks,