From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:37:48
1 On Monday 04 July 2011 14:15:12 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
2 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Monday 04 July 2011 13:47:28 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
5 > >> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Alan McKinnon
9 > >> so does bootsplash run using framebuffer or is it completely
10 > >> different?
11 > >
12 > > I have no idea actually. I could say it must run in a
13 > > framebuffer-like abstraction but that is obvious and doesn't
14 > > tell you anything you don't already know.
15 > >
16 > > Spock is the dev that knows most about these things, a good
17 > > first
18 > > research point would be to search his name and find related
19 > > docs.
20 > >
21 > > Sorry I can't be more help - I have the concepts in my head but
22 > > not the facts
23 >
24 > I appreciate the info. No worries about that.
25 >
26 > I think the other point I'm missing here is whether KMS is actually
27 > implementing anything graphical, like a framebuffer, or whether it's
28 > just moving _choices_ about graphics into the kernel and out of X?
29
30 By definition a framebuffer is a chunk of memory, and my understanding
31 is that KMS does implement one (nouveau definitely provides a
32 framebuffer, and it conflicts with all other framebuffers - you can't
33 have more than one in the kernel at all). The clue is in the name:
34 Kernel Mode Switching. It deals with all the low-level commands to set
35 modes in the graphics card so that X doesn't have to do it itself.
38 > I have an Intel i5-661/Intel MB based machine which is the only one
39 > I use KMS for at this time. On that machine I was instructed to use
40 > KMS by the Intel-Gfx devs to get their driver working at all. A
41 > nice side benefit was that it resulted in better text in the
42 > console during boot. However I don't see anything 'graphics like'
43 > on that box just using KMS so I suspect that while I've enabled
44 > technology that allows the kernel to manage graphics that I haven't
45 > told the kernel to actually do so. I don't know though.
46
47 When you speak of graphics in the context of framebuffers and
48 consoles, it's better to think in terms of "able to do what graphics
49 does" i.e. address a gigantic number of pixels individually. The fact
50 that you are not running any software capable of rendering graphics
51 doesn't reduce the fact that the means to do is there.
52
53 > All of my other machines are NVidia based and use the closed source
54 > driver so my understanding on those is that KMS doesn't apply.
55
56 Yes, that's true.
57
58 nVidia does it's own bizarre weird stuff that will forever more be
59 incompatible with the entire free software world <sigh>
62 > I'm curious, however, about my Gentoo VMs. Can KMS run on a VM's
63 > kernel and do anything useful there? This is more for learning and
64 > not about any practical need at this time.
65
66 From my understanding, this topic gets yucky. There's a whole bunch of
67 ways this could be done, from software emulation to para-
68 virtualization to full virtualization. Emulation is easy - KMS in the
69 guest sees what looks for all the world like hardware so everything
70 works if KMS supports the emulated card (albeit slowly). For
71 everything else, you'd need kernel drivers intercepting efforts to
72 talk to the hardware and be traffic cop. My brain is already spinning
73 on this so please excuse me while I go dunk my head in a bucket and
74 not think about it anymore :-)
83 > Cheers,
84 > Mark
85 --