From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:18:58
1 On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 July 2011 13:47:28 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Alan McKinnon
4 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > On Monday 04 July 2011 11:20:43 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
6 >> >> > The way I've been doing this only required `vesa' or
7 >> >> > `uvesa' and some special kernel line stuff.  None of the
8 >> >> > X related stuff is necessary.
9 >> >> >
10 >> >> > From covici's post... I think I may need to say uvesa
11 >> >> > where I've been saying vesa.
12 >> >> >
13 >> >> > I'm going to try that some time today.  Its already
14 >> >> > enabled in
15 >> >> > my kernel
16 >> >>
17 >> >> I'm a little confused by his post also, but I've never run a
18 >> >> machine without Xorg so maybe it's a technical point. With a
19 >> >> framebuffer I believe you can get a boot screen like the
20 >> >> Install CD - a bunch of little Tux's across the top - so
21 >> >> you're doing graphics at that point but you're not running X?
22 >> >>
23 >> >> I was curious about this topic awhile back wondering if you
24 >> >> could run a Gentoo VM with only a framebuffer and get any
25 >> >> graphics at all, or is it just that the framebuffer is used
26 >> >> to give you more control over the console font/height/width
27 >> >> selection.
28 >> >>
29 >> >> (I've never run a framebuffer, if that's not obvious!)
30 >> >
31 >> > bootsplash does not run under X (well, on redhat it used to, but
32 >> > you really don't want to go there) - this should be obvious as
33 >> > you don't see the X start-up sequence happening at early boot
34 >> > time.
35 >> >
36 >> > There are many things boot splash could use for displaying
37 >> > images
38 >> > (fbcon etc etc) or even something of it's own invention. I'm not
39 >> > familiar enough with it to say how it really does it.
40 >> >
41 >> >
42 >> > --
43 >> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 >>
45 >> so does bootsplash run using framebuffer or is it completely
46 >> different?
47 >
48 > I have no idea actually. I could say it must run in a framebuffer-like
49 > abstraction but that is obvious and doesn't tell you anything you
50 > don't already know.
51 >
52 > Spock is the dev that knows most about these things, a good first
53 > research point would be to search his name and find related docs.
54 >
55 > Sorry I can't be more help - I have the concepts in my head but not
56 > the facts
59 I appreciate the info. No worries about that.
60
61 I think the other point I'm missing here is whether KMS is actually
62 implementing anything graphical, like a framebuffer, or whether it's
63 just moving _choices_ about graphics into the kernel and out of X?
64
65 I have an Intel i5-661/Intel MB based machine which is the only one I
66 use KMS for at this time. On that machine I was instructed to use KMS
67 by the Intel-Gfx devs to get their driver working at all. A nice side
68 benefit was that it resulted in better text in the console during
69 boot. However I don't see anything 'graphics like' on that box just
70 using KMS so I suspect that while I've enabled technology that allows
71 the kernel to manage graphics that I haven't told the kernel to
72 actually do so. I don't know though.
73
74 All of my other machines are NVidia based and use the closed source
75 driver so my understanding on those is that KMS doesn't apply.
76
77 I'm curious, however, about my Gentoo VMs. Can KMS run on a VM's
78 kernel and do anything useful there? This is more for learning and not
79 about any practical need at this time.
80
81 Cheers,
82 Mark