From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT as it gets. Sorry] Windoze 7 and reinstalling error.
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:53:24
1 On 2 February 2012 15:34, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Your reply made me think of something.  I had a XP reinstall once that
4 >> required a number from MS because of the new mobo and hard drive.  They
5 >> said it recognized the change in the serial numbers.  When I ran into
6 >> that before tho, it installed fine but gave 30 days to put in the
7 >> number.  Does winders 7 have something similar?
8 >
9 > When you install Windows 7, Vista or XP (SP3 or newer), you can
10 > actually skip the product key step and it'll install as a trial
11 > version (30-day? 90-day? something like that). You can then "upgrade"
12 > to the real version by activating it when you're comfortable that
13 > everything is working properly -- or don't activate it at all and
14 > install Gentoo. Trying to keep it on-topic. :)
15
16 This problem isn't related to Activation (which a lot of people have
17 been describing). Those errors tend to be pretty explicit.
18
19 In my experience, Windows 7 is relatively lax at install-time, and
20 will give you 30 days leeway before it demands a key (which may or may
21 not require calling the hotline).
22
23 I'd say that you've either been hit by;
24 - An incorrect OEM disk that's checking the BIOS for some kind of
25 Manufacturer flag (and not getting what it wants).
26 - A BIOS setting that Win7 doesn't like working with (I think that
27 IDE-compat/AHCI is a good avenue of approach). Mike's link looks good
28 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753)
31 Also, install Linux, jeez :3