From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:09:10
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 18:31:04 BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 >
6 > > On Saturday 28 November 2009 17:04:10 BRM wrote:
7 > > > > You also mention /dev/hda and the context implies it is a physical
8 > > > > disk. Unless you have ancient disk hardware and unusual module setup,
9 > > > > your disks will be /dev/sda. Do you have references to /dev/dh** in
10 > > > > /etc/fstab? That won;t work as udev will not name them that way
11 > > >
12 > > > Actually, yes - it is a 2003 Dell D600 with a standard ATA/IDE hard
13 > > > drive. So yes - it would be /dev/hda; and yes, udev has been working
14 > > > fine until this issue.
15 > >
16 > > For quite some time now IDE drives have been handled below the SCSI
17 > > subsytem so you do in fact get a /dev/sda, except when using the old
18 > > deprectaed IDE driver that has been around for ages. That one uses
19 > > /dev/hda, and it's very unusual these days to find it.
20 > > You should check what the kernek you are running is using and what udev
21 > > calls those things as it very likely is not the same as what it was
22 > > before your kernel & udev upgrade.
23 >
24 > Okay - booted back over to it to do some checking:
25 >
26 > - trying to use /dev/sda1 as the root device (kernel command-line) won't
27 > work. - exact kernel version: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
28 > - there are no drives (hda, sda, etc.) listed under /dev - kind of expected
29 > since udevd isn't running.
30 >
31 > I do have sources for linux kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 available, but then I
32 > need to be able to write to the read-only fs. Guess I could probably do
33 > that using the kernel command-line, no? (Haven't done that before, so I'm
34 > not sure what the correct option would be.)
35
36 Before these troubles started, did you build a 2.6.30 kernel? If so, you can
37 just boot it, editing the grub command line at boot time as necessary.
38
39 If not, fixing it is quite trivially easy: Get a copy of any recent liveCD or
40 rescue image that you can boot, and boot into it. It will find your drives
41 using whatever conventions it uses, and let you mount your gentoo partitions
42 just like you would do with installs. chroot lets you test stuff and you can
43 also use the compiler on the rescue disk to build a new kernel and store it in
44 /boot
45
46 Then boot into that new kernel, everything ought to start properly, and
47 immediately rebuild that kernel using your gentoo system compiler. Along the
48 way you might have to edit your fstab to use sda devices instead of hda ones.
49
50 btw, this is exactly the reason why user-oriented distros like Ubuntu mount
51 system partitions using the fs GUID, not the kernel device name. It gets
52 around this kind of trouble quite elegantly
56 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com