From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:32:05
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > On Saturday 28 November 2009 17:04:10 BRM wrote:
5 > > > You also mention /dev/hda and the context implies it is a physical disk.
6 > > > Unless you have ancient disk hardware and unusual module setup, your
7 > > > disks will be /dev/sda. Do you have references to /dev/dh** in
8 > > > /etc/fstab? That won;t work as udev will not name them that way
9 > > Actually, yes - it is a 2003 Dell D600 with a standard ATA/IDE hard drive.
10 > > So yes - it would be /dev/hda; and yes, udev has been working fine until
11 > > this issue.
12 > For quite some time now IDE drives have been handled below the SCSI subsytem
13 > so you do in fact get a /dev/sda, except when using the old deprectaed IDE
14 > driver that has been around for ages. That one uses /dev/hda, and it's very
15 > unusual these days to find it.
16 > You should check what the kernek you are running is using and what udev calls
17 > those things as it very likely is not the same as what it was before your
18 > kernel & udev upgrade.
19
20 Okay - booted back over to it to do some checking:
21
22 - trying to use /dev/sda1 as the root device (kernel command-line) won't work.
23 - exact kernel version: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
24 - there are no drives (hda, sda, etc.) listed under /dev - kind of expected since udevd isn't running.
25
26 I do have sources for linux kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 available, but then I need to be able to write to the read-only fs.
27 Guess I could probably do that using the kernel command-line, no? (Haven't done that before, so I'm not sure what
28 the correct option would be.)
29
30 > I want to eliminate obvious things before we go looking for exotic things
31
32 Sounds like a good plan.
33
34 TIA,