From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:38:43
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 17:04:10 BRM wrote:
2 > > You also mention /dev/hda and the context implies it is a physical disk.
3 > > Unless you have ancient disk hardware and unusual module setup, your
4 > > disks will be /dev/sda. Do you have references to /dev/dh** in
5 > > /etc/fstab? That won;t work as udev will not name them that way
6 >
7 > Actually, yes - it is a 2003 Dell D600 with a standard ATA/IDE hard drive.
8 > So yes - it would be /dev/hda; and yes, udev has been working fine until
9 > this issue.
12 For quite some time now IDE drives have been handled below the SCSI subsytem
13 so you do in fact get a /dev/sda, except when using the old deprectaed IDE
14 driver that has been around for ages. That one uses /dev/hda, and it's very
15 unusual these days to find it.
16
17 You should check what the kernek you are running is using and what udev calls
18 those things as it very likely is not the same as what it was before your
19 kernel & udev upgrade.
20
21 I want to eliminate obvious things before we go looking for exotic things
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com