From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:05:02
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 On Saturday 28 November 2009 06:06:59 BRM wrote:
5 > > During boot, udevd (version 146, btw) complains about "error getting
6 > > signalfd". I did some basic hunting and this seems to have been a big
7 > > problem over the last year. I'm running kernel 2.6.25, built on 9/27, from
8 > > the gentoo source tree. The system then breaks while trying to do some
9 > > drive mounts, and I end up in maintenance mode - with read-only
10 > > partitions.
11 <snip>
12 > > The system seems to have the correct partition mounted for the root
13 > > partition, but it doesn't report it as /dev/hdaX yet. However, I need
14 > > access to the other partitions to get to portage. (Due to size of portage,
15 > > and other complications, I've taken to putting it on another partition and
16 > > mapping it. Usually this hasn't been a problem.)
17 > Actual error messages please :-)
18 > Let's start with what is in dmesg.
19
20 dmesg doesn't provide any useful information for this error.
21 Nor could I find anything in the /var/log/messages.
22 The only error I got was the "error getting signalfd" from udev's startup at boot.
23
24 > You also mention /dev/hda and the context implies it is a physical disk.
25 > Unless you have ancient disk hardware and unusual module setup, your disks
26 > will be /dev/sda. Do you have references to /dev/dh** in /etc/fstab? That
27 > won;t work as udev will not name them that way
28
29 Actually, yes - it is a 2003 Dell D600 with a standard ATA/IDE hard drive.
30 So yes - it would be /dev/hda; and yes, udev has been working fine until this issue.
31
32 Ben