From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:13:41
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 06:06:59 BRM wrote:
2 > So, I have been running my laptop for quite a while with the current
3 > software - it's been well over a week since I last synced and installed
4 > software - when I upgraded to KDE4; and I do believe I've rebooted several
5 > times since.
6 >
7 > Today, I rebooted back into my old Win2k partition - to do some checking
8 > around to clean it up and prep for removal/conversion to a VM image since
9 > I've been using gentoo on the laptop for well over a year, and haven't
10 > touched the Win2k side for a long time. Having cleaned it up, I rebooted
11 > back to gentoo, only to be faced with cascading errors during reboot due
12 > to udevd not starting up and mapping the drives, etc.
13 >
14 > During boot, udevd (version 146, btw) complains about "error getting
15 > signalfd". I did some basic hunting and this seems to have been a big
16 > problem over the last year. I'm running kernel 2.6.25, built on 9/27, from
17 > the gentoo source tree. The system then breaks while trying to do some
18 > drive mounts, and I end up in maintenance mode - with read-only
19 > partitions.
20 >
21 > Most seem to have resolved the issue by moving back to udev 141. I noticed
22 > that newer kernels are suppose to work with it, starting with the 2.6.25;
23 > so I _should_ have been okay. Needless to say, right now I'm stuck writing
24 > this e-mail from Win2k.
25 >
26 > The system seems to have the correct partition mounted for the root
27 > partition, but it doesn't report it as /dev/hdaX yet. However, I need
28 > access to the other partitions to get to portage. (Due to size of portage,
29 > and other complications, I've taken to putting it on another partition and
30 > mapping it. Usually this hasn't been a problem.)
31 >
32 > So I think I have a couple options:
33 > 1) Figure out how to mount the other partitions, and then revert to an
34 > older udev 2) Upgrade to a newer kernel - I do have sources for the 2.6.30
35 > kernels.
36 >
37 > Either way, I need to figure out how to get read-access to the root
38 > partition again. Any advice on either of the above (or other options), and
39 > more importantly (since any options depend on it) how to get read-write
40 > access to the root partition again?
41
42 Actual error messages please :-)
43
44 Let's start with what is in dmesg.
45
46 You also mention /dev/hda and the context implies it is a physical disk.
47 Unless you have ancient disk hardware and unusual module setup, your disks
48 will be /dev/sda. Do you have references to /dev/dh** in /etc/fstab? That
49 won;t work as udev will not name them that way
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com