From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 07:40:42
1 On Wednesday 04 February 2009 09:27:31 Christopher Walters wrote:
2 > I will mention that the performance optimizations for Gentoo mainly lie in
3 > the kernel configuration (the binary distributions compile just about
4 > everything you can imagine into their kernels), and in fine tuning the USE
5 > flags, so you you don't pull in anything you neither want nor need, thus
6 > limiting bloat.
7
8 Gentoo is also great if you want to run it on any out-of-the-ordinary
9 hardware, or if you have niche needs.
10
11 I personally don't view Gentoo as a "distro" in the traditional sense. To me,
12 it's a build system, an app - portage or paludis - and the devs that make
13 cool input files for that app. Building a distro from scratch for embedded
14 devices is a painful process if you don't have an automated build system.
15 It's not quite a trivial exercise, but portage does make it a whole lot
16 easier.
17
18 With overlays and ebuilds I write myself, I get all the benefits of compiling
19 from source, plus all the benefits of a sane package manager, without any of
20 the downsides of trying to combine them. I've tried to include third party
21 rpm repos on RHEL, it was a disaster. 4 years later I still can't make head
22 or tail of what the heck urpmi wants me to do. But an ebuild, well that's
23 just a simple bash include file.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com