From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:13:02
1 On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:31:27 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > I'm a little confused here... what exactly is in .version? Say if I
4 > wanted to identify the kernel as belonging to a specific machine.
5 > HOST is vm23. Now if I wanted to have an incrementing version string
6 > that included that host name what would I need in .version and how
7 > does the incrementing work?
8 >
9 > Do you mean 1 is added to string each time you call make? Can you
10 > show an example of this?
11 >
12 > Does .version need to reside in same level as .config? Will a
13 > `make clean' or `make mrproper'... destroy it?
14
15 cd /usr/src/linux
16 echo "$(hostname)-" >localversion1
17 ln -s .version localversion2
18
19 will give each kernel a name with the hostname and version
20 added. .version is automatically incremented each time you run make.
21
22 Make mrproper will most likely remove it, but I've not used that since
23 2.4.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Work is the curse of the partying class!