From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:31:56
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:38:48 -0500, ABCD wrote:
4 >
5 >> To be precise, the config option CONFIG_LOCALVERSION appends a string to
6 >> the end of the kernel version, which installkernel uses to place the
7 >> kernel image.
8 >
9 > You can get the same effect by creating a file called localversion
10 > containing the string to add, which saves altering the kernel config. If
11 > you make this a symlink to .version, you even get it incremented
12 > automatically.
13 >
14 >> If /boot/vmlinuz exists, then it is moved to /boot/vmlinuz.old, and a
15 >> *symlink* from /boot/vmlinuz is created to "vmlinuz-${VERSION}". If
16 >> /boot/vmlinuz did *not* exist before installation, then no symlink is
17 >> created.
18 >
19 > Instead, vmlinuz-${VERSION} is copied to vmlinuz.
20
21 I'm a little confused here... what exactly is in .version? Say if I
22 wanted to identify the kernel as belonging to a specific machine.
23 HOST is vm23. Now if I wanted to have an incrementing version string
24 that included that host name what would I need in .version and how
25 does the incrementing work?
26
27 Do you mean 1 is added to string each time you call make? Can you
28 show an example of this?
29
30 Does .version need to reside in same level as .config? Will a
31 `make clean' or `make mrproper'... destroy it?