From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:03:38
1 On Wednesday 26 November 2008 11:16:51 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 25 Nov 2008, at 21:35, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their
5 > > new SSDs.
6 > > The reason is that I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain and
7 > > justify why the laws of physics prevent my girlfriend from being
8 > > able to
9 > > backup her 5T banking warehouse on the schedule the law of the
10 > > country would
11 > > like her to. There's a solution, but it's hackish and ugly and
12 > > involves
13 > > extremely careful management of LVM snapshots. This is simply way
14 > > too much
15 > > admin effort for what should really be a simple incremental backup
16 > > process.
17 >
18 > Sounds like you want ZFS.
19 > On Solaris.
20 > On a little dedicated box which exports space via NFS.
21
22 No can do :-)
23
24 But I didn't give you the full story. Those 5TB are stored in a column-based
25 database on a raw device. The current setup is in production, in a commercial
26 bank and is already delivering aggregated analytical data to the users. When
27 I say "users" you should read "actuaries that determine the bank's business
28 direction for the next several years"
29
30 Microsoft will ditch Windows and fully embrace OSS long before that lot will
31 entertain the mere idea of a platform change :-)
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com