From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 14:40:03
1 On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 07/06/2012 05:35 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are attached.
5 >>
6 >> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64.
7 >> I have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
8 >> attached.
9 >>
10 >> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that no
11 >> devices are found. From the desktop all is well.
12 >>
13 >> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines.
14 >> I can ping the 7310 from all machines.
15 >
16 > That's pretty strange, for sure. I assume you have cups and hplip on
17 > all three?
18
19 Yes.
20
21 > When I use a web browser on localhost:631 I can see two printers on each
22 > machine: hp_LaserJet_3015 and hp_LaserJet_3015_fax. (No 3015_scanner, but
23 > I figure the 'fax' doubles as the scanner.)
24 >
25 > Do you have the 'fax' device on your laptops?
26
27 Interesting. I set up the desktop printing several years ago and don't
28 really use it (except yesterday to confirm that xsane would fail, but it
29 succeeded).
30
31 Cups on the desktop says (ignoring another device, a p2055 laser printer)
32
33 Queue name Description location Make and model
34
35 Officejet_7300 found by hp-setup found by hp-setup HP Officejet 7300 Series
36 hpcups 3.9.12
37
38 ss hp 7310 on ss South Salem network HP Officejet 7300 Series
39 hpcups 3.9.12
40
41 I guess this means I added it both via cups and via hp-setup. No
42 explicit mention of fax. I am loath to mess with this until I get some
43 success elsewhere as it is my only way to scan.
44
45 On one laptop (again ignoring P2055) I had just
46
47 ss HP OfficeJet 7300 local lan HP Officejet 7300 Series
48 hpcups 3.12.4
49
50 This is a cups install as I recall that that I couldn't get hp-setup to
51 work. I tried hp-setup again and it prints
52
53 -error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12):
54 hpfax:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
55 error: Unable to communicate with the device. Please check the device
56 and try again.
57
58 I choose cancel and see the box with Printer Setup and Fax Setup,
59 the latter checked
60
61 If I click "add printer", hp-setup fails with the same msg as above.
62
63 However, CUPS now see both devices (plain and _fax) like yours.
64
65 xsane changes as well. Instead of "no devices" I get
66 "Failed to open device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc1HPCC((32':
67 Invalid argument."
68
69 Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
70 old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).
71
72 Thanks for your help.
73 allan