From: Jean-Jacques FABRE <jeanjacquesfabre@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:04:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I've never tried but maybe this can help you:
4
5 http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/
6
7 Jean-Jacques
10 On 12/8/05, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote:
11 >
12 > On Dec 8, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
13 >
14 > > Hi folks:
15 > >
16 > > I think I have become a total Gentoo addict in just under a week:
17 > >
18 > > I am planning to begin a project to convert my laptop to a gentoo
19 > > linux
20 > > laptop.
21 > >
22 > > It's a gateway model M1675 laptop
23 > > It has fairly standard hardware, all of which works nicely under
24 > > Ubuntu
25 > > Breezy except the wireless card, which is an absolute requirement
26 > >
27 > > Currently (under Ubuntu) I have to run modprobe NDISWRAPPER every so
28 > > often to get the wireless card to be recognized, other times, it
29 > > recognizes right off the bat when I switch to it)
30 > >
31 > > The card that is in the box identifies under Ubuntu / gnome as a
32 > > broadcom bcm4306 802.11b/g wireless LAN
33 > >
34 > > The machine also has standard USB and 1394 ports on it, as well as a
35 > > floppy drive in one removable bay, and a CD-RW / DVR drive in the
36 > > other
37 > > -- all of which seem to work without complaints under Ubuntu
38 > > breezy, so
39 > > I am guessing that it will work again without complaints under gentoo,
40 > > but I need to make sure of this -- this is my primary work laptop,
41 > > and I
42 > > need to not be offline for super long with it, so I am trying to be
43 > > prepared for all the bugs I can in advance. Any suggestions, hints/
44 > > tips
45 > > / gottchas that you know of, or have run into would be appreciated.
46 > >
47 > > If possible, I would love to build the broadcom support into the
48 > > kernel,
49 > > but Ive only built one kernel, and I will probably need some guidance
50 > > getting it done correctly.
51 > >
52 > I believe there is not linux drivers for broadcom wifi...you'll still
53 > need ndiswrapper.
54 >
55 > > I can supply any and all specs that are needed at your request, but I
56 > > don't know what someone might need to know to help me do this
57 > > correctly
58 > > yet.
59 > >
60 > > Thanks in advance for your help -- this has been a wonderful
61 > > project so
62 > > far, and I'm a much better linux admin already for having messed with
63 > > Gentoo
64 > >
65 > > TIM
68 > > Timothy A. Holmes
69 > > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
70 > >
71 > > Medina Christian Academy
72 > > A Higher Standard...
73 > >