From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:37:18
1 On Dec 8, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks:
4 >
5 > I think I have become a total Gentoo addict in just under a week:
6 >
7 > I am planning to begin a project to convert my laptop to a gentoo
8 > linux
9 > laptop.
10 >
11 > It's a gateway model M1675 laptop
12 > It has fairly standard hardware, all of which works nicely under
13 > Ubuntu
14 > Breezy except the wireless card, which is an absolute requirement
15 >
16 > Currently (under Ubuntu) I have to run modprobe NDISWRAPPER every so
17 > often to get the wireless card to be recognized, other times, it
18 > recognizes right off the bat when I switch to it)
19 >
20 > The card that is in the box identifies under Ubuntu / gnome as a
21 > broadcom bcm4306 802.11b/g wireless LAN
22 >
23 > The machine also has standard USB and 1394 ports on it, as well as a
24 > floppy drive in one removable bay, and a CD-RW / DVR drive in the
25 > other
26 > -- all of which seem to work without complaints under Ubuntu
27 > breezy, so
28 > I am guessing that it will work again without complaints under gentoo,
29 > but I need to make sure of this -- this is my primary work laptop,
30 > and I
31 > need to not be offline for super long with it, so I am trying to be
32 > prepared for all the bugs I can in advance. Any suggestions, hints/
33 > tips
34 > / gottchas that you know of, or have run into would be appreciated.
35 >
36 > If possible, I would love to build the broadcom support into the
37 > kernel,
38 > but Ive only built one kernel, and I will probably need some guidance
39 > getting it done correctly.
40 >
41 I believe there is not linux drivers for broadcom wifi...you'll still
42 need ndiswrapper.
43
44 > I can supply any and all specs that are needed at your request, but I
45 > don't know what someone might need to know to help me do this
46 > correctly
47 > yet.
48 >
49 > Thanks in advance for your help -- this has been a wonderful
50 > project so
51 > far, and I'm a much better linux admin already for having messed with
52 > Gentoo
53 >
54 > TIM
57 > Timothy A. Holmes
58 > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
59 >
60 > Medina Christian Academy
61 > A Higher Standard...
62 >