From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 00:03:05
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On 29/09/2015 22:19, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > > On 29 September 2015 22:00:58 CEST, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl <at>
6 libertytrek.org> wrote:
7
8 > > Most companies I deal with wouldn't even let the people responsible for
9 the databases to reconfigure the
10 > storage for said database directly.
11
12 > I agree with Joost, needing access to all your DNS is off-the-wall. Any
13 > changes they need done, and they will be few, can be given to you as a
14 > support ticket for action just like everyone else gets to do.
15
16 > I would also have them specify exactly in their proposal what they
17 > intend to do, with full engineering. Any sane service provider will do
18 > that in their tender, and yours looks like a rather big tender.
19
20 Why cannot they just ask you guys to make the DNS changes they need,
21 transient or permanent. That way you stay in the loop on what they are doing
22 and participate with the upgrade.
25 Another point of concern. When radically changing infrastructure like this,
26 why not just do the entire thing under a new DNS and have both online for a
27 while, until the new site if vetted and the actual real bugs worked out?
28
29 Also, your company should force this contractor to take a large liability
30 policy, in the name of your company, should things go really fubar....
31
32 caveat emptor!
35 hth,
36 James