From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:29:19
1 On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >> Multiple people in the Linksys forums seem to have the same problem:
7 >> http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/BEFSR41-loses-connection/m-p/233266#M21765
10 >> http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/BEFSR41-Losing-Connection-Frequently/m-p/206185#M19557
11 >>
12 >> Note that one post seemed to consider this device as 'old' in 2008'.
13 >>
14 >> QUESTION: You purchased the BEFSR41 to support routing to the new
15 >> machines along with the old machine, correct? The red light is on the
16 >> DSL modem according to the first post. I guess that modem only has a
17 >> singleLAN port? What leads you to believe the problem is with the
18 >> router and not the modem?
19 >>
20 >> Cheers,
21 >> Mark
25 > Well, before I hooked up the router, it never did this before.  The only
26 > time the light was red before was when they were reseting the box up the
27 > road or my puter was turned off.  Since the only thing that changed was the
28 > router, I sort of figure it has something to do with it.  I have had this
29 > DSL for over a year so I would think it would have did something weird by
30 > now.
31 >
32 > If it does it again, I'm going to hook my puter back up straight to the
33 > modem and see if it works then.  That should rule out any changes up the
34 > road somewhere and the modem.
35 >
36 > I'm going to read up on the links you posted.
37
38 Yeah, makes sense.
39
40 I use a LinkSys WRT54G for my Cable Modem ISP and a 327W for my DSL
41 line. The only time I've had problems like you suggest were:
42
43 1) The ISP was having trouble. WIth Comcast this can go on for weeks at a time.
44
45 2) The unit was bad.
46
47 In the case of #2 replacing it fixed things right up.
48
49 Good luck,
50 Mark