From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:47:39
1 On 4/16/07, Thomas Tuttle <gentoo@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On April 16 at 06:46 EDT, Alan McKinnon hastily scribbled:
3 > > On Friday 13 April 2007, Ryan Sims wrote:
4 > > > On 4/13/07, anhnmncb@×××××.com <anhnmncb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > > hello,
6 > > > > I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my
7 > > > > hard-disk.
8 > >
9 > > Uninformed idiots who tell you total garbage like that ought to be shot.
10 > > No, they ought to be hung, drawn, quartered and their corpses hung out
11 > > on a stick to be picked clean by crows.
12 >
13 > I apologize for butting in, but this is actually possible if you are
14 > using a Flash memory medium, such as a CompactFlash card or a USB pen
15 > drive, for the filesystem containing Portage. It is true, as you said,
16 > that syncing often will cause no harm to a "normal" hard disk.
17 >
18 > > Seriously, I spend half my days on support debunking just this kind of
19 > > twaddle.
20 >
21 > ...and scaring off users who passed it (probably just because they
22 > misunderstood or misinterpreted something) by replying like this.
23 >
24 > Please, be nice.
25 >
26 > --Thomas Tuttle
29 While perhaps expressed in a harsh way, I think Alan's frustration is
30 understandable. There is a lot of bad information out there, on
31 subjects from CFLAGS to hard drive failure to toolchain rebuilds,
32 based on hearsay and rumor rather than testing and understanding.
33 When there are people posting bad advice based on misunderstanding and
34 users accepting alarmist statements without checking facts or
35 questioning sources, we get a lot of static on b.g.o, this list and
36 the forums.
37
38 Perhaps a more polite (but less emotionally satisfying ;) ) response
39 is: don't just accept advice because its scary or kewl. If someone's
40 promising performance gains or warning about damage risks, ask for
41 real numbers/research, not just hype or alarmism.
42
43 My 2cents worth. Hopefully I didn't come across as insulting, but I
44 do think that a little more health skepticism in the gentoo user base
45 (and indeed the world at large) would be A Good Thing (tm).
48 Ryan W Sims
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list