From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:48:39
1 Volker Armin Hemmann writes:
2
3 > Am Dienstag, 28. August 2012, 22:57:43 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4
5 >> This sucks. Is it a faulty board again? Is something (the PSU?) killing
6 >> the board once I turn the thing on? What will happen when I have the
7 >> next board and try again? Argh.
8 >
9 > so - instead of changing the PSU, the obvious culprit, you got a new board AND
10 > USED THE SAME PSU?
11
12 YEAH :) Thinking about this now, yes, it would have made sense to test
13 with another PSU first. But it wasn't so obvious to me, I simply thought
14 I had bad luck with a bad board, that died. Happens.
15
16 > I am just saying - one faulty PSU fried three of my boards. Enermax... will
17 > never buy again.
18
19 So - instead of changing the PSU, the obvious culprit, you let it fry
20 another board, and then... yet another one? Just saying :)
21
22 I once had the opposite problem, a mainboard seemed to kill PSUs. That
23 was weird.
24
25 > The fans spin, so not all hope is lost. Keyboard, ps/2? usb?
26
27 It's a PS/2 keyboard.
28
29 > But before you do anything else, change the PSU.
30
31 I tried another one this morning, same problems. I guess the board is
32 fried. So I'll order another one, and this time use another PSU.
33
34 Wow, they say it will take 2-3 weeks. So I'll see if there's another
35 board that will fulfill my needs... and there is. Radeon 3000 instead of
36 4250, and I remember having big trouble with my last Radeon 3250
37 system... and no eSATA which I probably wouldn't miss anyway, but it
38 also has no PATA at all. I can (and have to) live with this it seems,
39 but it's somewhat inconvenient.
40
41 Wonko