From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:23:29
1 Am Dienstag, 28. August 2012, 22:57:43 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > I wrote:
3 > > Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will be
4 > > okay then.
5 >
6 > This took longer than expected. The board I wanted (the same I already
7 > have) was not available, I had to order it. Strange, there is only one
8 > that has the features I want - AMD3+ chipset, four memory banks, USB 3,
9 > and on-board graphics.
10 >
11 > So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it might
12 > be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC shop
13 > diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they confirmed it was
14 > the board indeed, not the CPU. Fine, I bought the board, installed it in
15 > the PC, and guess what - it doesn't work. On the first boot I saw some
16 > BIOS status messages, hard drives and such, but the keyboard did not
17 > react, and then it did not boot, I got a black screen only. And on
18 > subsequent tries, with everything (2 ISDN cards, 4 hard drives) except
19 > for the DVD drive removed, the screen does not even turn on. All fans
20 > spin, and the DVD-ROM tray opens when I press the eject button. That's
21 > all. No keyboard LEDs.
22 >
23 > This sucks. Is it a faulty board again? Is something (the PSU?) killing
24 > the board once I turn the thing on? What will happen when I have the
25 > next board and try again? Argh.
28 so - instead of changing the PSU, the obvious culprit, you got a new board AND
29 USED THE SAME PSU?
30
31 I am just saying - one faulty PSU fried three of my boards. Enermax... will
32 never buy again.
33
34 The fans spin, so not all hope is lost. Keyboard, ps/2? usb?
35
36 But before you do anything else, change the PSU.
39 #163933