From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] suggest SSD partitioning
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:25:44
1 On 10/12/2021 15:16, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > If you can't do that, then it doesn't matter much whether you use a swap
3 > file or partition. On an SSD, both should perform about the same. On an
4 > HDD, swap files could run into fragmentation issues if you resize them
5 > or create them incorrectly. On an SSD, fragmentation doesn't have much
6 > of an impact. A swap file gives you the option to resize it later on
7 > without having to do filesystem and partition resizing, so I'd say a
8 > swap file sounds better.
9
10 It very much does matter whether you use a swap file or partition in
11 practice. I've just been reading right now a discussion about systemd
12 logging and hibernation, and how btrfs handles swap files. It sounds nasty.
13
14 If you have a swap file, linux creates an immutable file then uses
15 direct disk i/o. There's a LOT of unnecessary crap there that could go
16 wrong. Just avoid all that trouble and give yourself a decent swap
17 partition. (And if you're running btrfs, a lot of this sounds
18 experimental and dangerous ...)
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol