From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] suggest SSD partitioning
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:17:09
1 On 09/12/2021 21:27, pat@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > I'm planning small /boot partition, / partition and /data (including
3 > home) partition.
4
5 I just use one partition. What's the point of having multiple ones if
6 they're all on the same storage device?
9 > But I'm not sure if I should create a swap partition or swap to
10 > file. I'm daily hibernating the system to disk. And what should be
11 > the size od the swap same as RAM or bigger?
12 The "perfect" setup here would be to get a very small SSD (and those
13 tend to be very cheap), like a 64GB one for $20 or thereabout, and use
14 that as your swap. Just a single swap partition that uses all available
15 storage space.
16
17 I don't like swap being on my main SSD, since SSDs wear out when you
18 write to them. If you're hibernating the system all the time, that
19 results in quite a lot of data being written. Having a cheap small
20 dedicated SSD for that where you don't care much about its longevity
21 sounds like a good idea to me.
22
23 If you can't do that, then it doesn't matter much whether you use a swap
24 file or partition. On an SSD, both should perform about the same. On an
25 HDD, swap files could run into fragmentation issues if you resize them
26 or create them incorrectly. On an SSD, fragmentation doesn't have much
27 of an impact. A swap file gives you the option to resize it later on
28 without having to do filesystem and partition resizing, so I'd say a
29 swap file sounds better.